The above images are all experiments with lights and camera positions. I tried area lights, point lights and directional lights to work out how much light I wanted to flood in to create the creepy atmosphere. I also looked at intensity, thinking about how much light I want fill the front and back of the scene. I decided that three area lights around the front and a point light in the centre were most successful.
This is the lighting I chose because it is close to what I envisioned in the concept. The matte painting can still be seen but also a wall of shadow concelling what is blocking the door way. The rest of the room has been subtlley lit for an errie atmosphere.